The Person Who Hit Me Fled the Scene: What Should I Do?

Car that was in an accident

The driver who hit me did not stop. What happens now?

Drivers have responsibilities to other drivers on the roadways. For example, under Texas law, a driver who is involved in a car accident has a responsibility to stop, give medical aid, and share contact information and car insurance information with the other party. Drivers who fail to do so are considered hit-and-run drivers.

Despite this, many drivers break the law. In fact, Texas ranks #8 for hit-and-run drivers in the United States. This is a serious issue, and as a driver, you may wonder, what if this happens to me?

Would you know what to do if you were involved in a crash with a hit-and-run driver? Read on to find out what steps you should take.

Steps to Take

After a hit-and-run accident, do not panic. Instead, do the following:

  • Get yourself and your vehicle to safety. If you can, get your car out of the road. Also, check yourself and your passengers for any injuries. You may not feel any pain at first due to the adrenaline rush. Check your body for any blood or broken bones.
  • Call the police. The police can help you by looking for the fleeing driver. The officer can also file a report, which will be helpful for your insurance company.
  • Document the scene. What happened? What do you remember about the hit-and-run driver? What kind of car was it? What color? If you remember any part of the license plate, that is even better. Look for any evidence around the accident scene, such as bumpers or other parts that fell off the other vehicle. If you have a dash cam, that could provide police with the evidence they need.
  • Notify your insurance company. Let your agent know what happened. They will let you know what information they need and can help you understand your insurance coverage.

Will My Insurance Cover it?

This begs the question. Will your insurance cover a hit-and-run accident? Most likely, yes, at least to some degree. This will depend on your coverage.

You likely have personal injury protection (PIP), which pays for medical care for you and your passengers. You may also have collision coverage. While optional, this pays for your vehicle repairs. Another optional coverage is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. You can pay for this coverage, and it will help pay for damages caused by drivers who have little or no insurance. This coverage also pays for damages caused by hit-and-run accidents.

Contact Our Edinburg TX Car Accident Lawyer Today

Being injured in a car accident can be a stressful situation, especially if the driver does not stop afterward. What do you do now? How do you get compensation for your damages?

Do not lose hope. Chances are, at least part of your hit-and-run accident will be covered. An Edinburg, TX, car accident attorney from the Law Office of Raul A. Guajardo. P.L.L.C. can help. We will assess your case and help you get the compensation you are entitled to receive. Schedule a consultation by calling (956) 318-3200 or filling out the online form.