What to Do if You Have an Accident Out of Town During the Holidays

snowy car accident

You are involved in a car crash while visiting family. Do the rules change?

The holidays are quickly approaching. Thanksgiving is coming, then Christmas and New Year’s Day. During these holidays, you may decide to drive out of town to visit family. Maybe you are going several hours away. Perhaps you’re going out of state or even across the country.

You probably have your itinerary planned weeks or even months in advance. You are excited to see your family. You are excited to get some rest and relaxation. You are not expecting to get into a car accident, but the truth is that a crash is possible any time you are on the roadway.

More than three-quarters of crashes occur within 15 miles of home. 23% occur elsewhere. If you are out of state when it happens, you may feel vulnerable. You are in unfamiliar territory. What do you do now? Here is a guide to help.

Follow Proper Procedures

For the most part, you will want to follow the same rules as always. Check for injuries. Call the police and get a report. Exchange information with the other party. Call your insurance company and file a claim (unless the damage is minimal).

However, if you are driving a rental car, you will need to contact the rental company and let them know. They will tell you how to proceed. They will likely provide you with a new vehicle.

Figure Out Travel Plans

Depending on the severity of the accident, you may need to make some changes to your travel plans. If the crash was severe and several people were injured, you may need to spend some time in the hospital. Then you’ll need to go home and heal up. You will need to delay Thanksgiving or Christmas for another time.

However, if nobody was injured, then you may be able to continue on with your family get-together. You may be delayed, but you should still be able to enjoy your trip. You will need to figure out what to do with your car, though, which can be frustrating when you are trying to get somewhere by a certain time. If the damage is minimal, you can have it fixed when you return. If the damage is severe, you can wait around to have it fixed or get a rental car.

Talk to a Lawyer

You must understand all the legal ramifications of a car accident, especially if it occurred out of state. Each state has different laws regarding compensation and liability, so it is in your best interest to understand your legal rights. A lawyer can also protect you from any claims of blame by the other party. Consulting with a lawyer can give you peace of mind.

Contact Our Texas Car Accident Attorney Today

Getting into a car accident away from home can be a scary situation. How do you proceed? What mistakes should you avoid?

A Texas car accident attorney from the Law Office of Raul A. Guajardo. P.L.L.C. can give you peace of mind as you deal with this frustrating situation. Make sure you understand your legal options. To schedule a consultation, call (956) 318-3200 or fill out the online form.